Bankruptcy Lawyer Portage
Guiding Clients Through the Bankruptcy Process in the Portage Area
No one expects to fall into a financial hole, and there are many circumstances that can cause your debt to become unmanageable based on your income. Whether a job loss, medical issue, or another circumstance caused your financial issues, it is important to address the matter before it gets worse and destroys your credit or you lose your home to foreclosure. It is important to learn about the bankruptcy process and whether a bankruptcy case is right in your situation.
Schmidt Whitten & Whitten handles bankruptcy cases for consumers who need a fresh financial start. We can advise you of all of your options and navigate the legal process for you. Contact our legal team to learn more today.
Your Bankruptcy Options
No two bankruptcy cases are alike. People have different types of debt, income, expenses, and financial goals. There are different types of bankruptcy cases you can pursue, and the right type for you will depend on many factors that our legal team can evaluate. The two common types of consumer bankruptcy are as follows:
- Chapter 7 – This type of bankruptcy discharges certain debts without requiring a payment plan first. However, filers will need to give up nonexempt property in exchange for the discharge. Not everyone has nonexempt property, however, and many Chapter 7 filers retain their property and assets.
- Chapter 13 – If you do not qualify for Chapter 7 bankruptcy due to higher income, or you want to protect nonexempt property, you might file under Chapter 13. This type of case reorganizes your debts and requires you to abide by a repayment plan for three to five years. Then, your remaining debts can be discharged.
Both types of bankruptcy can help eliminate your debt obligations, though the right case for you will depend on the type of debt you have, your income within the past six months, your assets, and more.
Helping with the Bankruptcy Process in Portage
The bankruptcy process is governed by federal law, and these cases are filed in federal district court. Our law firm can help with every step of your case, including:
- Evaluate whether bankruptcy is your best debt relief option,
- Determine which type of bankruptcy case you should file,
- Examine all of your financial documents,
- Complete your bankruptcy petition and all supporting paperwork,
- Represent you in all hearings and to the bankruptcy trustee,
- Apply exemptions to your property in Chapter 7 cases,
- Ensure your repayment plan is reasonable in Chapter 13 cases,
- Address any issues that might prevent a successful discharge
We are ready to assist you from start to finish of your case, so please do not hesitate to call to start taking back control of your finances today.
Discuss Your Situation and Options with a Bankruptcy Lawyer in Portage
Schmidt Whitten & Whitten represents clients in many different circumstances in bankruptcy cases. If you are constantly stressed about being behind on your bills, there are solutions. Contact us to consult with a bankruptcy lawyer today.
Schedule A Free Consultation
At Schmidt Whitten & Whitten, we offer a free consultation during which we will examine the facts of your case and advise you on how best to proceed