Bankruptcy Attorney Near Schererville
Many Indiana residents are dealing with financial issues. If you are in this situation, what are your options? Should you keep fighting, barely making a dent in your debt? Or should you try to eliminate the debt and start over?
For those struggling with mounting debt, filing for bankruptcy may be the best option. Bankruptcy can liquidate your debts and help you get a fresh start. It is possible to file on your own if you’re familiar with the rules. If not, seek legal help from a bankruptcy attorney near Schererville.
What Can a Lawyer Do?
Your lawyer should have the skills and experience necessary to handle your case. We can give you sound advice and complete all required paperwork. This is especially important, as there will be a lot of documentation required regarding your finances, income, assets, and debts.
Discuss your case with a bankruptcy attorney near Schererville.We will advise you as to whether or not filing for bankruptcy would be in your best interest. For example, would Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy help you achieve your financial goals?
Also, our experienced bankruptcy attorneys can help you understand the process and answer any questions you might have. We can also navigate you through the complexities of your case and the bankruptcy process.
Another advantage of having a lawyer on your side is that we can attend hearings. We can represent you at these meetings and ensure your case is moving along smoothly.
Pros and Cons of Bankruptcy
Deciding to file for bankruptcy is a major decision. Many people opt for Chapter 7 bankruptcy, as it is the quickest option and requires no repayment plan. Are you interested in this option? If so, make sure you understand the pros and cons.
- Immediate relief. You are protected from creditors right away, so no more harassing letters or phone calls. Chapter 7 bankruptcy also temporarily stops repossessions and foreclosures.
- Permanent debt relief. Bankruptcy wipes out credit card debt, personal loans, and medical bills.
- There are exemptions. You will be able to keep some of your assets, such as cars and jewelry.
- You have to pass a test. If you earn too much money, you will not qualify. You may have to consider a repayment plan under Chapter 13 instead.
- Your credit will suffer. If you have good credit, a bankruptcy will cause your score to decrease.
- You could lose your home. While there are some exemptions, if you cannot pay your mortgage, you will lose your home.
Discuss Your Case With an Indiana Bankruptcy Attorney
Filing for bankruptcy is a major decision. There are pros and cons involved, so make sure to thoroughly discuss your situation with a legal professional.
When you need sound advice from a bankruptcy attorney near Schererville, the highly skilled team at Schmidt Whitten & Whitten can help. We have been helping people like you get out of debt for decades. We can assess your financial situation and guide you through the process. Fill out the online form to request a free consultation with an Indiana bankruptcy attorney today.
Schedule A Free Consultation
At Schmidt Whitten & Whitten, we offer a free consultation during which we will examine the facts of your case and advise you on how best to proceed